Saturday 15 November 2014

Responsive - J20: Creating First Mockup Design


In the brief it mentions that the use of fruit in the advertising of J20 in the past has increased sales. I decided to illustrate the fruit partly for this reason and also to reinforce the point that the juice is the combination of two fruits blended together; another point they were keen to get across. The current design doesn't use fruit on the packaging so I will play around with this and see how it could work.



I began working with the logo and type design that I had previously created. The colours and design style work well together although I, again, have left out the green.


Although I like how they look together they wouldn't work in this format at it would be a heavy content label. However they may work to support the body label perhaps on the neck label.


The colours in the fruit and the logo looks good on the green. The negative white space of the J0 breaks up the heavy amount of green as well as pulling the lighter colours out of the fruit.



I like the overlapping shapes but am not too sure where this is going. Definietly something to bear in mind and experiment with.





I began to think that perhaps it was the shape I was limiting myself to which held me back. So I got rid of the rectangle and looked at the shape of a tear drop thinking it would relate nicely back to the juice. Tear drop is a sign of liquid and would help to represent the juice.


I quite like the affect where the drop is broken by the J20 in white joining to the rest of the page. The only problem with this page is how much extra space would have to be filled at the bottom.


I moved on to a circle and started to outline the circle with a plain white band. This then turned into the two dominant colours shown in my fruit - Orange and Passion Fruit. The sudden end looked odd as it needed something more gradual.



Thats when I created the outlines so that they interlocked and formed a relatively equal border. The one thing that didn't look right and that I didn't change for ages was having the 2 in orange. It is a tiny thing but the difference it makes in the whole look of the packaging different. 






I kept working from there and this (above) is what I came up with. The logo stands out and is now a lot cleaner and suitable for an older audience. It would work both as white on colour or colour on white depending on the need and demand for it. Overall I am happy with this outcome but I may continue to experiment with the watercolours as I liked the concept behind that. However I feel that this outcome is more appropriate and suited to what they are after.


No comments:

Post a Comment