Tuesday 25 November 2014

"A Brief History of...": Evaluation and Design Boards

Evaluation
The aim of this brief was to design a multi-page website that effectively informs a user about the interesting and informative facts, figures, observations and visual content that I had discovered. The website I designed is based on my Summer Project which looked into Cyprus and the history leading up to the divide in 1974. I have successfully been able to create a website that informs the user about the facts and figures I have learnt but in an effective and interesting way.

I chose to work in an Infographic as it was the best and most successful method of getting across a large amount of information in a concise and interesting way. 

I didn't want to create an overly complicated interactive webpage as I wanted the information to speak for itself. Seeing as my design isn't overly complicated and the purpose of an infographic is to present complex or heavy information in a quick and clear way it seemed contradictive to over complicate the interface design. The navigation of the website needed to be simple and straight forward as its target audience is not limited by age but rather by interest. This meant that the website had to be functional and easy to use for both 8 and 80 year olds. I used a simple 3 page website which divided the information into 3 clear sections. The scrolling being vertical stripped back any confusion and reinforced the simplicity and easy use of the website.

Another Factor which has helped to make my website clear is the grid system. Using the golden ratio, I was able to create the basic grid which was applied to every design aspect of my website. By creating detailed mock ups before designing digitally I was able to easily transfer the information onto the computer and not have to think through main decisions seeing as I had ironed out the majority of the flaws whilst drawing the mock ups. This in the long run made the designing of the website easier.

Although due to extenuating circumstances I was not able to fully learn how to code the website, I have learnt the basics and have become aware of both the possibilities and the restrictions which are in place when it comes to web design. Knowing this allows me to now design for web correctly. Throughout the brief I have been able to take these constrictions and work them into my web design by being aware of web safe colours and fonts.

Through designing as an image rather than coding it has allowed me to create an infographic where I can be more flexible and have the freedom to use more visually enticing fonts. I chose to work with Lobster, Amatic, Bebas and Helvetica for body copy. This provided me with a nice range of different but complimentary fonts which provided the design with continuity that wasn't boring or dreary.

Due to time limitations the website isn't fully how I would want it to be. If I had more time then I would want to focus on making it look more like a website, however I have found it hard to make an infographic work as website. Whilst researching I couldn't find any websites that were made purely of infographics so I didn't really have anything to base my layout on. However with this in mind I feel that I have been able to create a different take on an informative website, which provides information and facts but in a fun and interesting way. 

I found that whilst doing my research into Cyprus all the websites were really poorly designed and didn’t engage with the audience. Most of them were reels of text which were tedious to read through. This showed that there is a clear space online for a well designed, interesting and visually engaging web design. I think I have been able to fill this gap and provide a website which both engages the audience but also informs and educates them.


Design Boards
Below are 4 Design Boards which cover the content I have used, the golden ratio used to form my grid, the considerations I have made which informed my final design and also the research which helped to form it.





No comments:

Post a Comment