Friday 3 October 2014

My Design Process: Leaflet Research

I thought that since I had researched into different types of fold it was also vital to research into different leaflet designs, focusing mainly on colour, type and layout. Obviously all of this would be affected by the style of fold I choose to work with, however I feel it is imperative to have a rough idea of what style I want to work in. 



The London Egg Bank

What initially attracted me to this leaflet was the hand rendered font which really stood out against the bright coloured background. The fold of the leaflet is pretty straight forward using one sheet of paper with different dimensions to traditional A size paper, being longer and thinner. However this works well with the composition. I think I will try to create this fold to see how it would work. The only criticism I have of this design is that I think the body text would look better in two columns as it would break it up and make it easier to read.




Santander: ITS T:ME TO

The strong contrast in colours between the red, black and the white really works well. The red is automatically recognised as Santander's colour so it really plays into their identity. Although I like the colour contrast, I wouldn't personally use it when designing for myself because it doesn't reflect me as a person, I wouldn't say I'm overly bold or in your face. The thing that I liked most about the leaflet was how the images had a red tint over them, this really pulls the whole leaflet together and makes it work as a unit. This is something that I've noticed a lot in design at the moment and definitely something I want to try if i decide to use images




Collaboration:

What I really liked about this design is how it really shows the collaboration. The books separate to show the two individuals, however both the books work together to show the whole picture. I won't make anything like this for this project but I really love the concept and will definitely look at in a later project if it fits.





Calendar:

I really love the colours used in the calendar, and will perhaps use a similar colour theme. The colours are bright and all stand in their own but at the same time really compliment each other. The design of the calendar and the font I'm not to keen on, but the colours are fab.



Travel Infographic:

This is more of a poster than a leaflet, but the style is right up my street. The simple vectors and way of presenting the information is clean and neat, it is not overcomplicated by heavy text or explanation it just speaks for itself. I love the complimentary use of colours and the font feels like it would work really well in my design process as it is clear and bold without being in your face.




Faculty Gallery - Art & Design:

The main reason I liked this leaflet was because it was printed on a different coloured paper. It seems really simple but actually it just adds that extra bit of interest. On white paper it would be minimalistic and good but 'not quite there' However this just works well and would be cheap to mass produce.




Below is a similar style using one base colour, however this would be more expensive as it would have to be printed on white stock to get the white text. I think its worth it as it really does catch your eye and the scattered look really suits the event.



Overall I have found it really useful looking into different poster designs, I will look back at this for inspiration when it comes to designing my final leaflet. 


No comments:

Post a Comment