Saturday 25 October 2014

"A Brief History of...": Exploring Website Grids

Since I have had a few lessons into creating a grid using Fibonacci's golden ratio I decided it would be a good idea to look at websites that have the same purpose and target audience as mine will. I focused on websites that educate about Cyprus,  I tried to put them into a grid so that I could see how they were working and perhaps get an idea about what grid would suit my website. I want my website to be infographic based as I feel it is the best way to get across a heavy amount of information in small readable chunks, because of this I will also do the same grid layout on some infographics and then try and find a happy medium which will display the information nicely but also work on the web and mobile device.


Website One:
The first website I looked into was called Just About Cyprus. I began to fit it into a grid, I didn't think the grid would be overly complicated as it is only one column of text.





This was the final grid, not that useful for an infographic web design.


Website Two:
This website fitted into a slightly more complicated grid 4x4 but with a slightly larger column on the left for the different options. 





The final grid is definitely more useful than the previous website.


Website Three:
This websites design is a lot neater and aesthetically pleasing. The grid is quite clear and the images and type fit neatly into it.







As the page was slightly longer I decided to see if the rest of it would fit into the same complex grid, and it did! I definitely think this is a much better grid to be working in as the website does just look so much better than the other two.

I've found this task really useful its really applied the knowledge and concepts about grids to practice.  I feel more confident to create a website in the grid as I can really see the advantage of it. I will definitely do this with a infographic as I feel it would be useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment