Thursday 9 October 2014

Logostarter: Experimentation With Double Layered Type


I began to experiment with the idea of overlapping the separate parts of the K. I decided to use VAG Rounded because it was round and equal weighting throughout the whole letter. This meant that overlapping would be equal. At First I divided all the separate components of the letter up so that I could play around with the layout.

I wanted to start adding colour so looked at blue, green and red which I pulled out of the colours from the window toy. I like the overlap of the colours, however it just looks very clinical - exactly what I didn't want - it looks like it should be in a hospital.



With the font in 100% opacity blue it looks even more like it should be in a hospital.


These colours are horrible together, although they are brighter than the previous selection.

I played around with having them all 100% opacity however it doesn't look good. It looks simple and doesn't get across the point of the toy. I definitely think the K needs the transparency to imply the layers.



I then had a sudden brain wave. I began to play around with doubling the K so that they overlapped twice. My thought behind this was that it would represent both sides of the glass, it also worked well as it made the double overlap a stronger colour.


I then moved it into photoshop and played around with the angling so that you could see the side of the K like looking down the window. Although I like the idea I'm just not a fan of the composition it just looks too small at the far end and isn't catchy as a logo.



I decided that I should play around with a different font so I looked at Nunito, however it just feels too thin and doesn't really shout kids toy logo. 



I thought that perhaps the Gap either side was too big so I moved the type in but this still didn't look great. 



So I converted back to the original font which I felt worked a lot better. However I did like the colour theme of orange and blue so tried that out.

I began to think that the reason the K wasn't looking quite right so played around with putting it in the circle. I like the use of colours as they are child friendly but they do really clash and it is just overpowering. 


On the other hand grey is too dark and doesn't work with the colours or the purpose of the logo.


Colour

I was really struggling on colour so Beth gave me some palettes which she had created around a previous project. This was really helpful because it gave me a good mix of colours to use. I focused on the brighter ones as I felt it was more appropriate for an audience of children.





I found the green worked really well for the backing circle but the K's were still clashing.




I really liked this red as well although all together it looks far too christmasy. 


The colours worked well on the grey background but again it just isn't appropriate.


Deleting the green so it provides negative space created a really nice overlap of colours in the layers. I then just decided to flip the background back to green so that it remained bright and cheery.



Overall I like this design, I think the overlapping of the cut out circles work well in showing the different layers. The design is better if you know the product.





No comments:

Post a Comment