Sunday 26 October 2014

"A Brief History of...": Mock up of Grid Layout with Information

I began working with the grid that I had created using Fibonacci's golden ratio. I used the bullet point information which I had set out previously and began to experiment with how it would fit into the grid. I wrote in the main figures and key words which I want to stand out and then just used straight lines to represent bulk text.



The first set of information I worked with was the history leading up to the invasion. I worked in the three column grid and tried to establish a hierarchy of information so that it is read in the correct order. Although it is important that there is a distinction between the title and the facts, it works well in the set layout because different facts and information will stand out to different people and catch their eye. The use of an infographic allows me to catch their attention so that they want to keep reading whilst educating and informing.



This layout fits nicely into the grid and even when the grid is taken away the information is still legible.


 Although I like this layout I don't think it is the best way to utilise space when talking about history. A time line feels more appropriate both in the presentation of the information as well as being able to illustrate the points more, meaning that less text has to be used.





Presenting the information in the time line works so much better. It allows for less bulky text and becomes so much more visual. This layout looks less cluttered and becomes easier to read and take in. I'm still not happy with the positioning of the title but its definitely getting there.

Using this concept of a time line, I decided to try the same thing with my Green Line information using the Green Line to divide up the page like the time line above. The only problem with this layout is that it wouldn't be a responsive website, it would struggle to work on the mobile device or on a screen that wasn't horizontal.





The green line information works well in the same layout and the same grid. The green line looks like a river in the drawing so once its designed in the adobe street it will hopefully become clear that it is the green line. 

All the information currently would work well as one page which you could scroll down through. The Multipage aspect would come into play when I create a similar but shorter infographic about the Land and the Division/Abandonment.

I am happy with the grid and think I will continue to work with it as it fits the infographic style.

No comments:

Post a Comment