Friday 17 January 2014

Brief 4 - Communicate: Type Modifications

 I decided to work with the same colour theme that I had used for my 5 page spread (brief 3) so that I could correlate them and perhaps put the leaflet into the pack of card rules. On the right shows my ideas for brief 3.

Using the font Bodoni as I originally used on the page spread didn't fit in well with the card idea. This is because the page spread was aimed as showing the traditional side of cards; the history, uses of cards and facts. This needed a good serif font to reflect this. Bodoni also suited this layout because the serifs make the body copy easier to read. However the aim of the playing cards was to bring cards back to younger generations. Explaining the card games and trying to break away from the constant use of technology. The font Bodoni wasn't very inticing  for a younger audience. It didn't capture their attention, nor did the theme as a whole. In the interim crit someone suggested the font Ostrich Sans, I wanted to explore this and found that it suited the audience better.


I experimented with using different fonts in the typeface for the design. However when I asked others about the design it became apparent that the capital body text was too heavy for its purpose. It is overwhelming and doesn't make you want to read the rules, it also becomes unclear and almost messy.


I looked at playing around with making the font white to distinguish it from the title and making it easier to read but I very quickly found that this doesn't look at all appealing and its background colour isn't attractive. I experimenting with this both ways around but found neither were overly good or worked with the concept I had.


Stripping it back to white meant I could focus on the text and sort out that problem.
I really liked the Ostrich Sans for the game title as it made it stand out and the lines linked well to the lines that framed the card. However as it was previously pointed out the body copy was too heavy.


I decided that to compliment the Ostrich bold titling the body copy needed to be an equally weighted san serif. Something which was simple and didn't distract from the words themselves. It also needed to come in lower case! something Ostrich Sans doesn't.













No comments:

Post a Comment