Saturday 11 January 2014

Brief 3 - Page Layout: Crit Feedback


 

This was the first page design I handed in at the Crit along with my sketches for my next 4 page designs and 3 questions that I wanted to know.

1. Do you think the type face is appropriate? what font would you suggest?
2. Is it obvious that the backing is the shape of cards?
3. Is the text too heavy?

My concern wasn't for the header text but rather the body copy, I find I struggle picking out an appropriate type face. After I had created it I realised how text heavy it was. Because the software was new I got wrapped up in learning it that I forgot to design properly.

The crit gave me some really useful feedback. The main general consensus points that I took away was that the amount of text was okay but it was the way it was laid out and I couldn't agree more. The boxes are cluttering and don't follow a set pattern. Another comment which I didn't even consider was the text sizing and spacing. On many sets of text I have sized and spaced them all differently. The three sizes I should focus on are the heading, subheading and body copy also making sure that the line spacing is equal through out.

One person commented on going back to the original card colour theme of black and red. This is something I was trying to avoid but perhaps is necessary to create a better piece of work. "less is more" is definitely an expression I will try to follow from now on. I think that perhaps the boxes around the edge of the page is enough and it doesn't need the excess boxes crammed with information.

One thing that I realised myself was how important gridding is. I didn't even consider that it should remain consitent as one page was two and one was three columns. I will change this to two so that it is symmetrical, following the concept of cards being symmetrical in their design.

One comment I disagree with was that the heading font didn't work within the concept of cards. The reason I don't agree is because it is a font used in card packaging and for the top lettering of the numbers and KQJA. However I will research more into the history of card typography and see if I can find something more appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment