Sunday 12 January 2014

Brief 3 - Page Layout: Type and Colour Modifications

I decided to look at changing the typography as someone had suggested in the crit. The font shown below is bodoniXT, I chose this because the serif font is easy to read whilst working well in header and sub header text. I chose to start again and begin with the tarot page so that the layout wouldn't be affected by previous ideas. I still ran with the two columns because it fitted in symmetrically. 



I then went back to the original page and changed the type to see if it fitted. It looks a lot better than the previous font of Lucinda however the colours are still wrongly matched.



I then tried flipping it and having the background as red with the white and black text on it. However the black didn't work well on the red and the colour was distracting from the text.

I decided to look at colour themes and work within them. The first one I looked at was the one below. I chose it because it fitted with the traditional card colours. When I experimented with implementing this colour scheme into the design I found it was hard to make the text work on a base colour without looking odd.


Below are examples of how the text looks on the colour. However the font shown here is a lot thicker than the one I am using so it didn't have such a high impact.

I then began looking at other themes that involved red. The one below is the one I settled with. The colour range allowed a dark grey for the text and a light cream for the backing. The red worked with both colours and the white could be used for subheadings or body copies.



I put it into practice and am happy with how the page layout has turned out. The colour compliments the page breaks. and the double outline on the page works well because it frames the piece and colour coordinates with the type; pulling it all together. 




This page layout is a lot stronger now. It is not distracted by boxing or different font sizes. All the body copy is 9pt with 13pt spacing.

No comments:

Post a Comment