Tuesday 21 January 2014

Brief 3 - Page Layout: Change In Theme

After recreating my cards and working with the colour scheme I decided to redo the 5 page spread so that the two matched. This way I could create a book to put in the box of cards.



This was the first page I recreated. I changed the font from Bodoni to Regencie light. This way both Brief 3 and 4 match, this theme with the brighter blue and red test heading makes the text easier to read as it divides it into sections which correlate to the places show on the map.

 This colour theme was tried throughout the whole document, however I found that it didn't feel as relevant on the other pages as it didn't link to any images. As you can see below the page looks odd with these small bits of irrelevant colour on them. They feel more like I am trying to advertise American history rather than cards.





Because of this I decided to leave all the text grey. This way it would all work the same and together. Once the text was grey as you can see above, it makes the map colouring and shapes look out of place. Suddenly the page looks very text heavy. To get rid of this I experimented with changing the colour of the map to grey. I also moved the information around so that it broke it up and gave some background space which, in turn, made the text easier and more pleasant to read. 

This was the final outcome. Overall the page looks a lot better and is nicer to read and look out. It fulfils its role of being informative and providing information to the history of cards without over cramming it with information. 

My next step was to try and sort out what text is going on what pages. I had a rough idea because of my sketches of the pages but needed to actually form it into flowing sentences. I found that it was easier to do this before trying to place images in the text because it ruined the lining of the text and it is easier to work the text (that is already there) around the images than to work the images around the text.


Both the double page spreads above and below show the layout of the page. Some images I could use of the internet because they were things I couldn't take photos of and there would be no point in me drawing myself. 



The manufacturers page was the first page I finished because the images were from bicycle. This page gave me an aim and a theme to how things should look. For example the title of each section being above the image and text below that. I am happy with the page layout; the cream backgrounds provide a good contrast from the white and black images without distracting from it. The curved corners represent the smooth corners of the cards and the two columns represent the cards mirrored image - how the numbers are repeated top and bottom and the card as a whole is central, for example the numbers on the card 4 are equally spread and if the card was to be folded in half the pips would line up.



No comments:

Post a Comment