Monday 29 December 2014

Augmented Design: Creating the Booklet






I initially drew out an idea for a folded concertina booklet when I first came up with the festival idea. I came back to it and adjusted it slightly, removing the side folds that came out and making it one straight concertina design. For the binding of the book I wanted it to be like a cereal box so that it could open and close. I am still unsure on how I will make this work but will experiment with paper later in the week. I felt for now it was best to get on with designing the content so that I actually had something to put together.

I came up with the idea of roots coming down from the tree and leading to each of the four things there is to do: shop, eat/drink music and theatre. I tried creating this method but it made the booklet look overly complicated and didn't suit the simplistic infographic style. I wanted the book to be relatively simple and to follow the same infographic style as my website.

The roots idea didn't work so instead I played around with a path leading down from the tree. I think this has worked well, perhaps even better than the roots as it is a clear and simple path which leads the viewers eye through the design without distracting them or over cluttering the work.


I edited the type so that it would fit round the path, this has made optimum use of the space without overcrowding it.




This path fed nicely down from the tree and pulled both the map and information together.


Working on a white background felt really boring for a festival especially one with such a vibrant culture. I decided to use the turquoise for backing, this immediately pulled the colours out of the design and provided a good and interesting background to design on.



I am really happy with how this design has turned out. Both information and the map have been linked well and blended into one. The path provides a natural guide for the eye as well as breaking up the otherwise heavy information. This fits in well with the website design. However I may now change my website so that the background isn't white, I feel like that has perhaps been what has been making it look quite bland and boring. I could strip back my web colours but use a brighter background.



I remembered this poster I had created ages ago but that didn't really work. I knew I liked the gradient but perhaps in poster form it was overwhelming. I decided to try the gradient out on the booklet. This worked a lot better after I made some minor adjustments such as removing the solid background of the Shop tent.

                               




I do like this outcome but am unsure between this and the solid colour. I will again, ask people for their opinions when I see them. The solid green either side of the design represents the front cover to be.





No comments:

Post a Comment