Tuesday 2 December 2014

Responsive - Sprung: Design Boards and Evaluation

The Sprung Record Label has been an interesting project. I have thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of it from research to the design and creation elements. The final result for this brief I have created an identity for the record company and applied it to all the designs including business cards, posters and a stamp template which will be made into a stamp later on. The style of my designs reflect the genre that is techno music. Techno has a clear aesthetic which I have followed by keeping the designs minimal and in black and white with a small amount of metallic silver. The use of geometric shapes is prolific in Techno so this influenced my use of the triangle as a logo. It initially was create out of three strips of paper which all interlocked to form this triangle, much like all the different genres of music interlock to form techno. I processed it digitally and striped it back to the basic necessities so not to overcomplicate it. The simple design is applicable throughout a range of design elements from posters, to business cards to stamps. The logo can be used interchangeably with the type which broadens its use as it can be recognised without the type. 

The most challenging part of this process was screen printing the business cards. I enjoyed the process but it wasn't without struggle. Several times things went wrong or were not considered such as cutting the white and black card down to the same size before printing. Although this caused problems and brought a holt to the process I enjoyed having to think of a practical and feasible way to get around it. The business cards are not something I would like to make again as it took a lot of man hours as well as several different steps, I was aware that when I was creating them they would be a one of special edition due to the amount of time it takes. However, I found it beneficial and a great learning curve with how to screen print both in two colours and double sided. The quality of the business cards have impressed me as they turned out better than I was hoping. The text and logo were in line and the colours printed opaque and clean. The quality and thickness of the two stocks created the perfect combination; a flexible business card which was also sturdy.

Although I could print the business cards as a one off through screen printing, I decided that it would be best to create the posters and print digital. Financially screen printing all the posters would cost too much time and money, although this is something I would like to do if I have some spare time. A few screen printed versions of the posters would look good and would form a nice link between the business cards and posters by tying it all together. Due to time limitations I have been unable to do this so far but it will be something I look into if I have time.

Commercially I have had to consider that my designs will be in public so I have used fonts that are free for commercial use such as Bebas. 

If I could make any improvements I would go back and redo the business cards with the knowledge I know now. I learnt a lot from making them, and learnt from the mistakes I made. This would cut the process time in half as well as perhaps producing a better final product.

Overall I feel this has been a successful project as I have created a brand identity for the Record Company which has had a continuous style through out. From originally not knowing much about the design aspect of techno I feel that I have been able to quickly adapt the style and apply it to my own designs.


Design Boards







No comments:

Post a Comment