Monday 29 December 2014

Augmented Design: Creating the Poster

I really wanted to reuse the illustrations I had created for the map, I began by playing around with creating a pattern out of the shapes. I didn't really like how this turned out as it looked odd and didn't suit what I was going for. So I put the idea to one side and moved on to experimenting with gradients.



I really liked how the white solid line looked against the gradient. I created the gradient from colours I had used previously on my website. This adds a level of continuity throughout my work linking both the website to the printed extras.


I took this idea further and added illustrations over the top of the gradient. I am not sure if I like this or not, part of it gives of a friendly festival vibe whilst another part feels like the gradient and the solid block colours clash. This is an idea I will perhaps come back to in design later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to create a simple poster which I could screen print. Designing for screen print limits the amount of colour that can be used as each new colour is a new screen. I have tried to stick to 3 to save time practically as I won't have long to produce them. I made the background and the type cream when in fact this won't be printed, I will just use an antique coloured stock. 

I used the same illustrations which I had previously designed for the map. These have allowed me to keep the same graphic style throughout and will link all the design aspects together. I already had a rough idea sketched out of hills representing the terrain of Cyprus but with illustrations on each one, each representing a different layer or aspect to the event.

Below is the basic idea I started working with.



I experimented with having the type in different colours. I decided it was best to have the blurb about the event in the cream because it blended in with the address and other information. The dark blue just stood out too much and distracted from the design. 

Although the design looks relatively simple, I have tried to continue the a similar concept to the map. The maps form looks like a tree which links to the idea of grounded, long living much like Cypriot Culture and Traditions. Here with the poster a similar visual is created with the information and illustrations forming the rough outline of a tree. 

I felt the design didn't look Cypriot enough so I experimented with adding a border which would help to tie it into the greek and turkish traditions. I didn't want the poster to be stereo typically Cypriot with over use of patterns, colours and fonts like Papyrus  because the point of the event and then in turn the purpose of the posters is to encourage people to learn about the culture. I felt if I bombarded them with typical design then they would be put off as it can be overwhelming.



I found that creating a frame like this pushed the poster into the background making the frame the central point. I tried a different Idea where the frame would be made out of the design. Below I used a swirled pattern to create the framing of the poster. This took ages to line up all the colours and ended up looking pretty bad. The swirls again distracted from the poster and really didn't fit in with the style. 




I decided that just a plain coloured frame would be better as it would nicely frame the work but not distract from it. I felt that the bottom of the poster was missing something as it was plain. I played around with adding the live music tent I had previously designed and this seemed to work well.




However the colours were too garish and clashed. On a practical level they wouldn't work because It would have added another two screens to the screen printing process. I changed the colours around to make it appropriate for the poster design. 







I still played around with borders as I really felt the design was missing something and wasn't quite right. I then had the thought that greens weren't very Cypriot colours so changed the colours to reds and yellows. This really lifted the piece up and made it more cheery, colourful and appropriate. 







I still attempted to keep the frame but in the end scraped it as I realised it looked a lot better without it. The poster is now neater and cleaner. At the moment this would be a 4 colour screen print due to the darker insides of the blue tents. However If I can get this to work as one of the other colours or just as stock then I can screen print with 3 colours. I am happy with the design as it is upbeat and has a friendly look. Using Amatic as the primary font feels inviting and not serious which encourages people and their families to come along to the event and learn about Cypriot history, culture and tradition that way.


No comments:

Post a Comment