Tuesday 23 December 2014

Augmented Design: Creating the Map

After I had created the first few illustrations I became stuck with what to create next. I decided it would be a good idea to draw a rough map out by hand so that I could get an idea of what I would need to illustrate and how I would do it. 



Theatre 

The first thing that stuck out to me after drawing the map was the theatre. I wanted to show this through a symbolic theatre drawing - red curtains etc...

This was my first attempt. I liked how it came out but it didn't fit in overly well with my other illustrations. I realised that it was because it had a sharp outline around it, something the other illustrations didn't have. I changed it so that there would be no outlines, this looks a lot better and continues the same design style as previously used.


 Food Tent

I began to create my food tents. I wanted them to be quite open to imply that it was an open air tent. Using white allowed me to add detail which defined the tent.



Creating the Map

I then began to move on and create the base of my map. I used the same green that I had used throughout my infographic website. The first thing I did was try to find a way to comfortably fit in the market tents. Below are a few examples of layouts I tried.






I decided that the green was too strong and it distracted from the illustrations. I wanted to keep the same green so I changed the tint. This has allowed it to remain the same colour but at the same time be lighter.




I put a tint of the yellow for the background to get rid of the strong white contrast. I might remove this at the end and print on a cream or antique paper instead of printing cream ink on white paper. 





I wasn't sure what colour to do the food tent, the gold clashed with the green and the blue completely faded against it. Red seemed to be the best colour as it worked against the green and also balanced out the red of the theatre and live music tent. 

I made the paths a darker tint of the yellow so that it could be separated from the background. The map has ended up looking like a tree which is quite cool because it reminded me of this famous quote which I may use.

"A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots."
- Marcus Garvey







I decided to experiment with adding text to welcome people in. I think my initial idea of overlapping or having more than one language just isn't going to work as there isn't any continuity throughout the fonts with certain glyphs.



No comments:

Post a Comment