Saturday 21 March 2015

Responsive - Food In The Loop: Misshaped Veg Poster

One of the reasons why so much food gets wasted is because of misshaped veg. People don't buy ugly veg even though it tastes exactly the same. Supermarkets know this so reject it before it even gets into store, putting a lot of good veg into landfill. I wanted to create a poster that would raise awareness of this. I decided the best way to do it would to have two carrots, one shop bought cosmetically perfect one and the other to be misshaped. Seeing as practically I don't have time to get the veg and book out a photography slot I have decided to work in an illustrative style.


This is my misshaped carrot. I have kept it as simple as possible adding lines so that the shape can be seen.


The hardest part of the illustration has been the leaves. I used an already illustrated carrot as a template to get an idea what the leaves should look like.


I made a four different leaf shapes which I then placed in my own pattern to form the carrot leaves.







At first the leaves were too long in proportion compared to the carrot so they have been re edited to fit correctly.





I have played around with having a blank white background but also adding a frame with an earthy colour to fill it. I chose 'Its whats on the inside that counts.' because it sums up nicely that it isn't about appearance as they both taste identical. 'Its whats on the inside that counts' is a saying that people tend to use when something doesn't have the best appearance so it fits nicely with the carrot.


I also played around with the statement 'Different Appearance, Identical Taste'  as perhaps a nicer way of saying its whats on the inside that counts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment