Saturday 31 January 2015

Responsive - J2O: Creating the Packaging



I decided to score the packaging before I cut it. I practiced on one of the off cuts and found that 3 scores with the back of a Stanley knife gave it enough flexibility to fold nicely but didn't cut it so deep that it went through the packaging. 


The crease marks were only on one side so i measured it on the other side and drew a marker on. This then meant I would be folding in accurate straight lines rather than guessing.


I checked it with the original J2O packaging to check it was the right size.


One misktake I have made is the ending of the swirls. Last time I over compensated and this time it is under. It is annoying that something this simple has gone wrong. However when I take my finished photos it is something I can edit on photoshop. 

The other problem which I had last time I made the box template was that the white showed through the cuts after the section was cut out. 


The surface was  rough and uneven so I used a nail file to remove the loose bits and smooth the edges. This just left the white as an issue. I decided I would try and remove the problem by using a sharpie to colour in the white.


Although this got rid of the white the ink spread through the design and stained the area surrounding the cut out. I had a change of plan as I decided that the Stanley knife I was using was too blunt and chunky which made it harder to hold and made intricate work impossible. The scalpel was a lot easier to use and produced a neater outcome. As you can see from the image above the right one is a lot neater.  






I cut the rest of the sections out and then cut out the final box template.


This looks really bad. I had an idea to remove it with nail polish and a cotton bud. When I practised on a scrap piece it removed it really well, however when I used it on ink it smudged the stain in more.



I decided to leave the rest white as this looked less obvious.




This is the finished outcome. I am really happy with how this has turned out as it looks a lot neater, cleaner and sharper in comparison with my previous attempt. The bottle labels and the 4 pack design work in harmony together to promote the idea of a mixed fruit drink. The vibrant colours help to emphasise that it is an energising, fun drink whilst not being overpowering or looking childish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment