Monday 5 January 2015

A Brief History of...: Editing the Website

My augmented design has taken a new turn, using less colours than the original website and using colour as a backing rather than white. It no longer fitted with the original website design although it had been inspired by it. Both Digital and Print had to work together in unity to promote the same thing; in this case, getting people to have a basic understanding of Cypriot culture and history. The print is an extension of the web so I wanted to go back and edit the web so that the designs had a level of continuity running through them. 

Below are my 3 original designs. They all work together as a design but lack excitement and don't feel like a website. In my website evaluation  I wrote about how if I wasn't limited to time I would like to spend longer making it look and function like a website. Now that I have had a bit of extra time I was able to reevaluate it and tweek the design to make it more appropriate for web. 





I began by changing the background to a gradient. Initially I wanted to use reds and oranges as I felt this accurately reflected Cyprus by showing warmth and fun. However as a background colour it didn't work for web or for the leaflet, it showed more of a firey and aggressive side. It worked perfectly for the posters, but this is because there was less information on there and it is harder to read on the red. I changed all the dark black to white which reflects nicely off the green and blues to bring the work to life and attract your eye to it. Using lighter greens and golds on the darker background and then darker blues and greens on the lighter background helps to balance out the colours and makes key information stand out. Stripping back the amount of colours used has helped to neaten up the website making it easier to look at and digest.




I changed the colours of the illustrations to be more fitting with the new colour theme.





The plane illustration initially being black was changed to green to compliment the background it would be placed on.





The white looked a bit much so I changed this to a darker green which works a lot better.



The above title bar looked awful on the new green backing so it was changed to white and green to keep it simple. I added the different website buttons either side of the title in clear white rectangles. This has helped to separate them from the design whilst keeping them in a constant referable place. I added in Home, Shop and Contact as extra pages which help to balance out the buttons but also provide more options to the viewer.






The black on the design used for outlines became very heavy and dull. I changed it all to white to fit with the rest of the website and lift up the design.




Going through and editing each illustration so that it looked neater.


Home Page

I wanted to completely redesign the homepage as the one I had before was not amazing.
I started with a simple 3x3 grid.


I placed both my new website design and also my poster promoting the event either side of the website so that I could keep referring to the design and pick out appropriate features.



The title in the top middle with buttons down the left hand side.


I knew I wanted a promotion to the event in the middle as it would attract viewers eyes.



Curved type looked better and fitted in with the type on my poster design.


An automatic link to signing up for tickets.





Experimenting with colours and how they work together with the type hierarchy.


I quite liked the idea of adding swirls that were in the ticket to the homepage. It pulls your eyes in and keeps the focus on the tickets. However it is hard for the buttons to work around this.





These are a few examples of how my webpages now look. The new design fits in with the printed work and pulls the whole project together as a whole.

I am glad I modified my website after the Augmented Design Brief as it now fits in better with the designs. Using a gradient background to replace the boring white has immediately made the website look more like an infographic. The white text has a lot more impact on the gradient as well as the illustrations which compliment the Augmented Design illustrations. The home page now has more of a fun and exciting appearance compared to the original design. This will in turn help to promote my event because if it looks interesting and exciting then people will be more likely to enquire about the event. 

The buttons position being changed from the top right in a row to inline to with the title has really helped to make it look more like a website. It has also brought them back into the viewers eye range as the previous design was hard to locate the buttons. Adding the extra Home, Shop and Contact buttons has balanced out the design and provided the viewer with more options. The extra options provide the customer with the opportunity to extend their knowledge through buying products, asking questions or registering for an event. Overall I think the website now looks more like a functioning website


No comments:

Post a Comment