Wednesday 7 January 2015

Augmented Design: Designing the Booklet

I began to redesign my leaflet. I wanted to create something which was more compact so that people could be given it at the entrance and it would be easy to carry round and refer to or to store in a bag. I cut a 15cm height strip from an A2 sheet of paper, making the total length 594mm. I divided the paper into three rectangles 17cm x 15cm and left 8cm at the end for the tab and seal. I went back to my original cereal box tab idea as a way of closing the leaflet. This helps to keep it all together and protect the information and leaflet that will be sat inside. 



I left enough room for the map to fit in a slot on the last page. 




I debated continuing the idea of having a ticket slot to store the ticket in. In the end I decided people probably wouldn't use it and it would be preferable to have the extra page for more information.


The leaflet closed nicely.




Figuring out the exact measurements before creating the grid on indesign.


The grid gave me a good space to work in.


I decided that I would include the map on my website with information about the island. This seems like a nice opening introduction by giving a bit of information about the place that is being celebrated.



I was unsure on what colour to use as a backing. The gradient would again be too overwhelming but the cream seemed too boring and plain. 




I used a tint of the turquoise for a while and this worked great as a background. It was enough colour to keep it interesting whilst not taking over. However I felt that because I haven't created anything else in this colour that it wouldn't work in the set. I decided to use the lighter turquoise because the cream was clear on it. It is the most versatile colour out of the palette I am using which means that I can use all the other colours in the illustrations and design and it wont clash or limit me.


I began to insert the information and create illustrations to support them and break up the heavy text.


I struggled with the layout of name day as it just didn't look right. In the end I decided to work with just a candle to represent the birthday and have it positioned to the right of the text. This then helped to break up the name day and plate smashing text as they were side by side. 


I had some extra space to fill by the plate smashing and wanted to fill it with promoting an opportunity to have a go yourself. I chose the symbol which I had previously put on the map but with no real reason. Plate smashing became the reason.




I decided to use a range of fonts so that different information would stand out. The 'Now you can!!' draws in the eye and the arrow follows it down to the illustration.


Below is my final leaflet design. I am unsure on my view on it but it is definitely an improvement on the previous A4 idea. Once it is printed it may look better. I tried to not use too many colours so that it isn't heavy on the eyes. I'm not sure how using a turquoise for the backing colour is going to look once printed but it is the best colour choice out of the palette. The cream did not imply infographic and did not fit in with the other designs.





No comments:

Post a Comment