Wednesday 7 January 2015

Augmented Design: Final Pieces and Evaluation

My task was to produce a print-based advertising campaign to support my 'A brief history of...' website. The aim of my website was to get people interested in learning about the history of Cyprus. The website was divided into 3 sections - The Land, The Divide and The Invasion. The website was created in the style of an infographic;  something I have tried to continue through the Augmented Design. I have based this printed project around advertising an event; Cyprus - A Celebration of Culture. It has the same aim as my website which is to get people interested in the history, culture and traditions of Cyprus. I felt the best way to do this was for people to be immersed in it by experiencing the food, drink, music, theatre, plate smashing etc... 

My target audience isn't limited by age or gender so it was important that my design was mutual and could be understood by all. For example, I was careful what fonts I used and what point sizes I used for an older audience who may struggle. The target audience also affected my tone of voice, because it was such a varied range I was aware that if I went for a tongue in cheek tone then it may not be appreciated by some or understood. I decided that my tone of voice would be formal but friendly so that it makes for easy reading.

If the event happened the posters would be given to local businesses to put in windows along with being printed on a lower gsm stock and stuck on billboards. If I had more time I would also like to make flyers which people could then take away with them. It would encourage them to visit the website to register for tickets and find out more.

I used a matt card to print the poster, booklet and tickets on. This felt most appropriate for how they were going to be used, they needed to be sturdy but still flexible. The tickets have been perforated so that the stub would be torn off upon entry. The map inside the booklet was printed on a lower gsm because of the amount it was going to be folded, 4 folds would have been too much on the card and it would have bulged out as well as the ink cracking along the folds.

Below are my final outcomes. Including an A3 event poster, two wrist bands, two ticket variations and an event guide. Each piece of graphics follows the same design style and works together as a collective set. I tried to stick with 4 main colours throughout the design but used green and orange when necessary. The colours are bold and solid I decided not to continue the gradient which I originally began on my map and transferred back to my website because the solid colour is stronger and arguably more eye catching. I debated what colours to use for a while because initially I wanted a lot of reds and oranges to reflect Cyprus. However when it came to designing the colours didn't work practically. They were too brash and in your face, I decided to go with the current colour theme as they all worked well together and could be used interchangeably.

 I used Amatic as my main font because it gives a friendly approachable vibe. As my poster would be aimed at people who don't really know about Cyprus and perhaps wouldn't normally go to events like this, I felt it was important for this to be reflected in the design. The font itself is clear and legible whilst having a humanistic element, this was ideal as my poster would reach a broad range of people at different ages and it is vital that everyone can read and understand it. Helvetica was kept as the main body copy throughout each piece of design because it doesn't distract from the work but blends in with it.

The illustrations have been kept as simple as possible, I wanted to use as few colours and detail as I could get away with because otherwise it became a distraction. Most of the illustrations are created out of simple shapes which keeps continuity throughout the designs.

Digital print was the most appropriate production method. I considered screen printing for the poster as I thought it would be a nice 'handmade', authentic touch however practically screen printing 4 colours would be a challenge both in the time limit given and also the colour registration. It would be difficult to line up all the colours exactly and this would lower the quality of the work, therefore I decided digital print would be most appropriate given the time limitations and amount of colours chosen.

I have been able to accomplish a fair amount in the time given. However if I had more time I would like to extend this project further and create flyers to hand out about the event as well as mock up menus for the food and drink up on offer. I would also like to go back through my designs and redo/fix some of them such as the booklet. I have really enjoyed this project as it has been interesting to see how it has developed from just research into a full design package. I have found it an interesting challenge to keep the same design style across the board but it has been very rewarding to see the outcomes working together as a collective.






The Booklet:
The booklet turned out better than I had hoped however there were some mistakes during the printing and making of the booklet. Such as the rips at the bottom of the 'Island page'. Unfortunately due to time restrictions it isn't possible to reprint it, which is something I would like to do if I had another week. Some errors are inevitable such as the white showing at the edges of the paper. Even though the ink has done a good job of covering the paper the edges will always show, which to an extent lessens the quality. However I like to think that using a bit of imagination you can imagine how the book would work if printed professionally. 









No comments:

Post a Comment