Wednesday 7 January 2015

Augmented Design: Ticket Redesign

I originally began creating my ticket design here but had a break from it to get on with other work. Returning back to it I was unsure on how the type was laid out. The Cyprus and celebration of culture followed the lines of the coloured waves nicely but the details below looked awful. No matter what font I used or where I placed the information I could not get it to work with the titles. 

After I printed out my ticket digitally I found that the ticket size was a lot smaller than I had expected. I found an old ticket which I liked the size of and worked with the dimensions 15cm by 7.5cm. This provided a bigger space to work in which wasn't as narrow as the original.


I first laid out all the type central and straight. It seemed like a better idea to lay out the type and work around it rather than trying to work around a pattern. Especially because it is a ticket, its sole purpose is to provide information not to sell the event to the public seeing as they will have already purchased the ticket.


I briefly tried a gradient background to fit with the rest of the designs but I felt this was overwhelming and didn't look overly exciting. It left no room for illustrations or patterns as the gradient took up the focal point. Having a gradient and illustrations would be too heavy and crowded.


Stripping it right back to plain colours. I liked the stripes but it feels very sea side-y and doesn't scream culture and celebrations. Using Bebas is very formal, I decided to have the majority in Amatic as it links better with the posters as well as being more friendly and approachable. 





I experimented with waves of colour as a way of braking up the space. I tried running the text along the line again but still am not overly happy with it.



Instead of creating new waves I inserted the ones I had previously used but played around with the positioning so that they went horizontally instead. I quite liked this outcome as it allowed the text to stay straight and work in the limited space. I didn't like the extension of colours onto the ticket stub so decided to scrap this idea.


Working on a dark blue background equally works as it lets the colours stand out.



Combining both colours didn't seem to work that well, it made the design look fragmented.





I think this is now my finished ticket. I much prefer the dimensions and the layout. Seeing the ends of the colour makes it feel more free flowing and the lighter background makes the mood of the ticket lighter and more like a celebration. The font choices and positioning of type makes it clear to read for both the customer and the steward. 





No comments:

Post a Comment