Thursday 8 January 2015

OUGD504: Module Evaluation

This module has been beneficial as it has introduced me to the idea of designing for screen as well as challenging my prior knowledge on designing for print. This module has not just taught me about design in the forms of print and screen but has also given me a greater understanding of the production process involved behind the scenes which I previously did not know or understand.

I now have a conceptual understanding of website coding and how it plays a roll in design. Although I will never go into the coding side of web design it has been invaluable to my skill set as I feel that now, as a designer, I am more aware of the limitations and possibilities that are available with designing for web. Now that I have a better understanding of the theory behind the website design I can apply the rules and guidelines to my work to create the best possible outcome.

The same goes for designing for print. Although I had a basic understanding of print, I didn't know much about the theory behind it or how to set up work to print. The Photoshop, Indesign and Illustrator workshops were priceless in expanding my knowledge. I have learnt so many useful tips which I cannot believe I lived without like being able to package my work on InDesign! As well as learning smaller bits of useful information I also gained a greater understanding on how the design process works in the real world. Currently printing all my own work I have never had to send something off to print, which means I have never set up specifications. Now knowing how to do this has settled a lot of previous concerns I had about industry. 

The way I approach a project has improved into a more efficient and effective process. Having to outline my design process in the first project really helped me to write down what it is I actually do. I took my design process for granted and didn't think it was that complex. However since designing the leaflet I have realised the multiple steps I go through when designing. This has been incredibly helpful as it has given me a manual to follow and refer to when I get stuck which in turn has sped up my design process and made it more succinct.

I have come to appreciate the need for grids when designing for both print and web as well as understanding and appreciating the differences between the two. I have learnt how important it is to understand the platform you are designing for and then choose/create a grid accordingly. The grid I used for my website was created using the golden ratio and this really helped all the information to fit in. The grid unintentionally created a style across the three webpages which meant they all worked together by following the same guidelines.

I have decided to evaluate each brief individually please see the links below:





No comments:

Post a Comment