Wednesday 7 January 2015

Augmented Design: Booklet Idea

Seeing as I can no longer package the map separately I began to play around with the idea of creating a pouch or pocket for the guide to sit in. I wanted it so that the top part of the guide would be on show, this would make it easier to grab as well as being more obvious to the customers.


I then began thinking about creating some where where the ticket could be stored. I personally like to keep the ticket after I go to things so that I can remember it. The leaflet having a slot for the ticket would be a nice extra feature.



Creating two semi circle slits worked well as it didn't take a lot to hold the ticket and keep it in place. It also meant that a lot of the ticket design could still be seen.



I tried having it just on one side but this wasn't as secure and it also had to be substantially bigger which hid the ticket.


Four slits in the corners worked the best because it will be the easiest to cut out. Each slit is 2cm in from the corner so the ticket is secure. The only issue that I have discovered with this is that when the ticket tab is ripped off it will be a different size.

To adapt to this I added extra slits at the new points so that it is optional. I think for the actual leaflet I will just make the slits at the smaller size as the stub would be removed anyway.



Together they looked like this. I quite like this mock up and can see it working.

From here I began looking at creating an A4 booklet which would be given to people on their arrival. The book would contain some basic information about Cyprus and traditions as well as the map and ticket holder.



I quite liked the idea of the ticket pattern being carried on onto the booklet. Then by putting your ticket in the slot you are completing the design. However I couldn't get this to work or look attractive.


I began to play around with the gradient as I thought it would be nice to continue it through the design.



Using information I had previously written up for my website I was quickly able to fill the page with information about Cyprus. I originally wrote about the island but changed it to traditions and interesting facts. I thought this was better suited to the audience because most people know where Cyprus is located and don't really care about the size of the land. 

I did debate writing about the Division but I could not justify it as it had very little to do with the festival. I felt by writing about traditions it would give the reader a good idea of what Cyprus is about as well as introducing them to things they can try at the event such as plate smashing or things they can buy like worry beads and evil eyes.


I am really unhappy with the layout and general appearance of the leaflet. I think that I have been staring at it for too long and need to get away from it.

Revisiting the leaflet I have decided to start again. I feel that A4 is too big and practically if I was given that at the entrance to an event it would appear corporate and wouldn't fit in my bag so I would be likely to ditch it. Instead I am going back to experiment with folding and will try to design something slightly more compact but with the same features and content as the current design.


No comments:

Post a Comment