Friday 28 March 2014

Brief 2 - Design Principles - What is a Book?: Checking over the pages

I wanted to put my design principles knowledge into practice and wanted to go through and check my work. I adjusted the tracking to get rid of the orphans and I also made sure there was no widows left behind. Below is a good example of where an orphan has been left. by adjusting the tracking I was able to remove this and not ruin the design of the page.






Another thing I noticed was how thin the lines on the time line turned out to be. I went back into illustrator and made it thicker and then relinked it. This made the contrast a lot stronger and the black became more readable against the blue. 




Getting Rid of Orphans and Widows

Widow
  • A paragraph-ending line that falls at the beginning of the following page/column, thus separated from the rest of the text.
Orphan
  • A paragraph-opening line that appears by itself at the bottom of a page/column.
  • A word, part of a word, or very short line that appears by itself at the end of a paragraph. Orphans result in too much white space between paragraphs or at the bottom of a page.


The bottom of the paragraph had an orphan which I removed by adjusting the paragraphs tracking to bring more words down to the last line. 


On the bottom of the Massimo Vignelli page a widow was left. The first two lines of the next paragraph were left on the next page. I moved the type boxes around so that the paragraphs were inline in their columns.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contents


I found the contents looked odd for two reasons, firstly beceause the flush left layout doesn't work with the contents type down the side as the gaps are unequal. Secondly the black on blue looked odd and didn't work with the white.




I switched the content around and made it flush right so that it lined up with the contents title.






No comments:

Post a Comment