Sunday 16 March 2014

Brief 2 - Design Principles - What is a Book? : Page Layout Research

After I began to realise my layout was impossible to work with as the title took up too much space and then made the columns of text look too bulky I decided to go back and do some research into zine layouts so that I could get and idea of how to lay out my work. Ideally at the end of this project I would like to produce a zine and get it printed explaining about typography.




I liked the overlapping different coloured first letter on this page layout above. The thick titles with the bold line above really made it stand out even though the title wasn't in a conventional place.

I found a zine called NoZine. I absolutely love the layout of the pages, how the text is organised and the use of space when it comes to placing the title. Throughout all the issues they focus on one primary colour and run it through the zine. This is a great idea as it keeps a constant theme as well as saving on printing money. The layout is simple and works to a two column per page grid. 















To me this orange colour really made the magazine stand out. It was already a lot more complicated than the NoZine but the use of orange broke up the text but also helped its titles to stand out.




No comments:

Post a Comment