Tuesday 18 March 2014

Brief 2 - Design Principles - What is a Book? : Making the Page Layouts Digitally

I began by making my grid digitally. A simple 6 by 6 grid with small margins in between. This grid allows all my pages to fit in and work together. Although whilst creating my pages I got carried away and forgot to screen shot the process.


Contents Page



The History of Type


The grid meant I could line up with type with the timeline but still have room for the title.

The Anatomy of Type



The title fitted in well centrally with a row each. The top and the bottom of the title end where the type on the opposing page ends.

Serif vs San Serif




I managed to line the text up equally each side of the title so they are the same distance apart.


I found the type looked odd having the title on the left for each so I began to move the right hand page over to the far right to balance out the boxes.





This layout looks a lot nicer and symmetrical now.


Readability and Legibility



The columns fitted the paragraphs in well. having two paragraphs on each page allows the text to be easily read whilst not being too text heavy. The blue titles break up the heady body copy.


The titles fitted well into the margins.

Point Size



Know Your Typeface Categories


Type Authority 



An Interview with Massimo Vignelli


I decided the interview needed an introductionary paragraph to explain what the interview was about. I wanted to have this in a different font so decided to use Helvetica because it fitted well with the san serif title and also Vignelli's love for Helvetica. I tried Helvetica for the whole body copy but found it was a bit overpowering and didn't fit in the space. It made it harder to read when it was printed out. 


I liked the stepped paragraphs working up. The gap between the introduction and the first paragraph really highlights the step up and separates the two.

Famous Fonts





The image was able to fit into the same grid space as the text which kept them grouped but separate. I added lines in between so that it broke up the different sections.

No comments:

Post a Comment