Friday 20 February 2015

Responsive - Pocketbook: Knot Idea

The concept behind using knots was that it could represent the collaboration of Harry and Sam and how they are strong together. I began to look into knots that I thought would partly look cool but also be relevant to them. After scrolling through quite a few, I settled on three.


Zeppelin Bend
The Zeppelin bend which I was drawn to because it is a secure, easily tied, and jam-resistant way to connect two ropes. The pattern it forms also is an intriguing shape which could loose its identity from the knot pretty quickly.



Figure of 8
A figure of 8 knot with two varying loop sizes. There wasn't a set meaning to why this one was chosen it just produced an interesting shape.

Square Knot/ Reef Knot
The reef knot or square knot is an ancient and simple binding knot used to secure a rope or line around an object. The knot is relatively simple but this is what makes it attractive. The amount of space between the pieces of rope breaks it up making it look less like a knot and instead like a pattern.


I decided to continue with the square knot further as I felt it had the most potential. The logo needed to work in just black and white so I limited myself to those colours. I created the knot twice but with one underneath slightly bigger to create a break between the lines. Without this extra line the interlocking pattern wasn't obvious it just looks like a 2D chunky logo as you can see from the first screenshot below.




Different variations of the logo have been tried in black and white. The best one in my opinion is the white on the black backing simply because it looks the neatest and perhaps is the most eye catching. However none of them are really appropriate for the industry they are entering the logo needs to be more dynamic and show more movement.




No comments:

Post a Comment