Sunday 29 December 2013

OUGD404 - Study task 4: NatWest Type Hierarchy

To look at type hierarchies within websites I have chosen to look at NatWest to get an idea of how they lay out their typography and which parts my eye naturally reads first.





Firstly my eye focused to the largest text on the website which was placed centrally. After skimming through the questions and further information below it my eye immediately jumped up to the familiar natwest logo and slogan placed in navy in the top left corner. 


Here is the main place that you would start reading a book from so it seems natural for it to one of the first places for my eye to be led towards.


immediately below three options became open, these were placed nicely underneath the logo and allowed me to quickly search for what I was looking for.


Although it isn't the largest of writing the next block my eye was led to was the further options underneath.


At the end row of previous options this online banking box was placed just about which followed on nicely from the options and also the purple and larger font made it stand apart from the rest of the page.


Next my eye jumped right down to the bottom two options. I was firstly attracted to the bottom box, this is because the blue box is a better contrast with the green grass background unlike the green box with the green grass - it didn't stand out as much. Even though both fonts are the same size because the blue boxed one is in a smaller box the font appears bigger and easier to read.



The very last thing that caught my attention was the two ads at the bottom one for a kids saving account and one for an appeal.  The kids saving account caught my eye first out of the two, not because of the type as both are laid out identically but rather because it was positioned directly below the last piece of typography I read.


No comments:

Post a Comment