Thursday 30 April 2015

Product, Range and Distribution: Research Book Cover

I have decided to create book covers for each of my research books. Currently I have divided my research into 4 section/ 4 books:

• News articles (the beginnings of my research)
• NSA
• Contextual reseach
• Campaign Research

Each of these four books contains all the research and content which has inspired and influenced the practical side of this brief. 


A few months ago we had a CRIT and it was suggested that I researched into this font called ZXX. It has been designed to be unrecognisable by computers. I have decided to use this font style for my book covers. It links nicely to the research project and provides a visual connection and example of the research.

I haven't been able to find a link to download the font, the image itself is of low quality so I have decided to create it myself. The grimey, scribbled appearance reflects the unclear and messy situation.




I have been able to create each letter individually and create a word. Using a range of fonts with different widths. Getting rid of structure and adding inconstancies has helped to break away from the norm. I think my version still needs work, the font that I have chosen isn't thick enough for the purpose however it is definitely on its way.




I originally had the idea of using TV static as the backing to symbolise a loss in connection, nothingness. However trying to combine this with the red and blue of the logo hasn't gone well. The logo is hard to read in the bottom right, the background is too busy and makes it hard to read.


The white alone instead of coloured text looks a lot better, this will also be cheaper to print. The logo can easily be converted into black and white.
Removing the static and having a clean white background keeps the attention on the type which should be the focus. The eyes in the middle could be kept throughout the book range to keep it consistent. 




The repeat in rectangles again repeats the idea of Redacted lines which have been used in my practical elements. This will help to tie the research to the physical outcomes. The repeat of the eyes works well but definitely needs to use different eyes. 





The eyes I originally used were taken from the collage I made at the beginning of the project. I have tried to crop down other large eyes (above) however these aren't as successful.




I will keep searching for appropriate eyes to use however until then I think the cover would work well as just three black rectangles with the information in it. It doesn't need to be overly complicated. Any kind of backing distracts from the already busy type. The type really needs to be the bold centre of attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment