Tuesday 28 April 2015

Product, Range and Distribution - Part 2: Visual Idea

Sketches



I wanted to create a piece of symbolic work. After all the research I did I have tried to incorporate the NSA problem into one visual graphic which I can then screen print onto bags and T-shirts to support the campaign. 



Research



Researching into Illuminati artwork has been useful as it is similar to what I want to produce however I want mine to be a bit simpler. The designs are interesting and provide me with a good example and base to work from.



Creating the Design 


The triangle is an equilateral which means the circle will sit in it perfectly touching each edge and leaving an equal amount of the triangles corners on show.


I didn't actually screenshot any work before I had the key hole idea. The eye looked lost by itself, it was almost just floating in the middle of the page. I had the idea of it peaking through a key hole. Normally when you see and eye showing through the key hole it implies spying; watching on people without their permission or knowledge. This fits perfectly with what the NSA is doing.




The lines looked too long when spread out. The middle ones especially, they look more like arms that vision lines.


The eye was made bigger as this is the central problem! They are watching without permission.


The black background was supposed to fill up the space more and break up the white. However I wasn't really sure if it worked, the solid black may be too heavy.



I explored the use of a maze as this nicely symbolises how complicated the whole situation is. However after trying it at different sizes I have decided not to use a maze as this will be harder to print screen printing. I will be limited to how big I could print it as the ink may spread.


In the end I decided just to outline the bottom part of the key hole to balance it with the top. I still think this design needs something extra at the bottom so will continue to try and figure out what it is. However for a first attempt this has been very successful.



Final


Here is the final graphic. Each element is significant to depicting what the NSA are doing. 

The large eye represent the NSA peaking through the keyhole at the world. The eye in the centre of the circle reflects the Panopticon; a prison designed by Bentham where one guard could see every prisoner. In this situation the prisoners are the people around the edge of the circle. These people not only symbolise the American people but also the worlds population. The American stars around the edge confine the people, this symbolises the NSA keeping other countries data and records in America. The triangle represents the structure of society; very few on top controlling and surveilling those below. The bricks shows that they break the sovereignty of the home by continuing to watch us.

No comments:

Post a Comment