Wednesday 12 February 2014

Brief 2 - Design Principles - What is a Book? : Magazine Grids

I decided to look at 3 different magazines and within them look at three different double page spreads. Once I chose my three sets of double pages I placed tracing paper over them and began to figure out the grid. I discovered that a lot of imagery splits over the two leafs but this is never the case for text. I put this down to having to leave room for the gutter where the pages are joined. Another thing I noticed is one grid for the left hand page may be completely different to the right hand page one.





This was my first magazine, I found it interesting how everything lined up and the bottom of the images on one page would be the bottom of the text on another. This page had a good combination on text and image which really allowed me to get an idea of page grids.


This was the second magazine I gridded, It may be hard to see some of the fainter horizontal lines going across. This magazine spread is symmetrical with the same amount of columns ad a photo bang centre of both pages gives your eye something to look at and then read around. 

From the same magazine I decided to place the grid I made over a different page to see if the magazine is the same gridding system or different. I found that the columns and text on the second page were too wide to fit into these columns and no text really lined up with my grid lines. This is strong evidence that it is a different grid.







My third double page spread already looked to have a clear set out. Even though the image is of centre I find this layout very appealing.  It is neat and tidy and everything carries and equal weighting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment