Thursday 27 February 2014

Brief 2 - Communication is a Virus: Poster Development

Initially I thought it would be cool to have 3D poster advertising the event. I suggested this to the group and they all liked the idea. However when it came to making it I really struggled to get it too look good. I found it drooped and didn’t look right. It was too fragile and looked sorry for itself.  I decided to move on from this and I began to experiment with creating work in the style of Rob Ryan where the work is stencilled and cut out. Because he is a paper artist I feel this fits with origami as it works on the same style of being clean crisp and neat as well as minimalistic.




Folded title out of folded paper

For the title I thought it would look great if the letters were actually folded since that was the name we decided on. I played around with it and thought it looked quite good. I could scan the letters in and add them to a poster; it would give it more of a hands on feel and been a bit more fun and quirky than a helvetica title. However the group was torn, the majority of them liked it as an idea but in the end Helvetica won.

I agree that the bulk text should be something clear and legible but I really liked the idea of having a fun title. In hindsight perhaps this would have encouraged more people to get involved.


Practice cutting although shapes may be too simple.


Experimenting with cutting out the swan. Did not work well.


Trying to make the swan 3D


Basic template


Rough poster idea - will be changed with more information etc..

I felt that the stencil worked well because it still fitted in with the paper craft idea. One thing I suggested was having a stencil cut out of the poster (like above) and then putting different piece of coloured or designed paper behind it. This was it would stand out from a distance not looking just black and white and each one would be different and hands on. People would get a better idea of what they can do and it may inspire them.


After speaking to everyone in the group we decided to run with the stencilled idea however change the title from the folded font to Helvetica. This meant the posters were kept simple and plain, it also is a good san serif font which we can apply to a broad range merchandise and advertisements. The logo is simple and really fits well with this theme. Once the posters are printed the different sections will be cut out and brown paper will be placed behind to add a different layer and really make the animals stand out. We decided to go with 4 birds; a crane, dove, swan, and flapping bird for the posters and booklet to keep it simple and within a theme. However online will be more examples of more complex ideas.







I think this one needs to be edited, the lines in the middle aren't straight which means the design lines will be wonky. The triangles may be too big as they will make the paper weaker. 



One the last one, I had a quick play around with the black circle informing students about entering. Perhaps this is a better layout as before the text was very heavy and now it stands out that you can enter your own submissions.

No comments:

Post a Comment