Sunday 10 May 2015

Covered: Evaluation

Overall this project has been very enjoyable. I have always had an interest in philosophy and enjoy reading and learning about it in my spare time. This brief was a great opportunity for my to combine two of passions; graphic design and philosophy.

Being able to choose a book which I love has made the project even more enjoyable. Not many philosophy books have interesting or even good covers; they normally look quite boring and don't often reflect the philosophy inside. It was an great challenge to update the book cover to make the book more appealing to a new audience. I was able to use prior knowledge about the book and its running themes to create a concept for the design pretty quickly.

Being able to create the design quickly after a few sketches may have been the one downside of this project. I knew from the beginning which philosopher I wanted to do and quickly identified a running theme to base the design around. I don't feel like I fully explored a few different avenues before picking one. If I could change anything it would be to research into more philosophers and perhaps think of more covers.

However considering the time limit for this project and the sheer amount of work on, being 100% sure on the book has really helped to focus my research into the conceptual aspects of the design. I was able to dedicate more time to reading the book and really understanding it, this meant that the design is a lot more thought through and every design element is justified.

The design has been printed on a fine linen stock from G.F Smith, this paper was chosen to reinforce the traditional book style. The colour has printed more of a teal instead of the intended green. However the texture of the paper has really shown through and different colours can be seen within the design.

Even though I haven't been able to carry out as much experimentation and exploration into other ideas, I feel like I made the right choice to focus my energy on one design. I have really enjoyed this brief and I am happy with the outcome. It has a strong concept behind the design and every element has been carefully considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment