Monday 14 April 2014

OUGD404 - Module Evaluation



BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN

LEVEL

04


Module Code
OUGD404

Module Title
Design Principles


END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION
NAME   Helen Street


1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them? 

I have developed my understanding of grids and how they allow a book/ page layout to be flexible. I have effectively applied this because I have been able to create a 6x6 modular grid which works for every page. I have developed my ability to look at a layout and put it into a type hierarchy. This has meant that when I create my final ten double page spreads I can see how easily they read and what reads first. Initially I started off with my title down the side but noticed that it then didn’t become the first thing you read so I adjusted it accordingly.


2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I have learnt the basic principles to Graphic Design, this has really helped me with all of my projects as they act as a basic structure. They have helped to explain why things have gone wrong and don't necessarily look correct as well as showing how design can work best by following a structure and rules. I have developed my understanding of type hierarchy, colours and also type anatomy; these all help to inform my designs as I can apply their rules to my work.


3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I have become quite strong in noticing typography through the Type Journal Task, this means that I am forever looking at typography and analysing why certain typefaces were chosen and how they relate to what they are showing. I will capitalise on this by relating it to my own work, when I step back and figure out why I have chosen that typeface and why it is appropriate.


4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?


I start digitalising my work to early. I found that in “WHAT IS A BOOK?” I had an idea and began making it, I soon realised it wasn’t working so went back to research and lots of thumbnail sketches. However if I had done more sketches in the first place it would have narrowed down the good ideas and I could have made an informed decision. In the future I will sketch and thumbnail ideas and work them out on paper straight away rather than later on. This will make the project flow better as well as give me a clearer idea what I am doing.


5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

1 – Blog straight away. This will help to keep everything in the correct order as well as allowing me to have a fresh mind and analyse what I’ve done without confusion.

2 – Do a little bit each day on smaller projects. This way I won’t have to do bulk work towards the end (Type Journal).

3 – Keep up to date with blogs and other graphic design sites. This way I am familiar with what is in fashion and can always be inspired by new work.

4 – Keep an on-going reference list. This means that I won’t have to trace back through my history and websites to find out where I have got the information from.

5 – Look up things I don’t understand straight away. This will help to keep me understanding everything, it also means that I’m not learning something else when I didn’t understand the first thing.





No comments:

Post a Comment