Tuesday 8 October 2013

Anatomy of Type



Today began by looking into the geometry of type to get a better understanding of how each letter is formed and the correct terminology. This will be useful when it comes to Crit sessions and when I begin to work on designing my final modified letters.




Above show the notes I took on the terminology for certain letter forms, I found writing this out useful because it has give me something to refer to and given me a greater understanding of type. I will begin to research what sort of type is suited to what type of work and why this is the case. After we had a basic understanding of font we were given two serif letters which we had to modify into san serif whilst keeping the rough letter form.


Above on the right is a letter R in a serif font. To transform it to san serif the bridges and serifs at the bottom legs of the R were removed and straightened. The width of the letter was made equal the whole way around and the counter we made smaller and rounder. The font is now sharp and clean.


The lower case 'a' we experimented with a few different ideas focusing mainly on removing the tail and rounding the counter so that it ran equally with the bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment